A blog dedicated to tidbits of software information related to the AEC industry. Most tips and tricks are roughly 60 seconds because, "Hey who doesn't have 60 seconds".
*The views and opinions expressed in this blog do not reflect those of my employer.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Send Emails with #DynamoBIM

I had an opportunity to present last year at RTC North America with my BIM Manager. It was an awesome experience and we found ourselves in the top 5 speakers!
Our presentation was on Implementing a Building Performance Optimization Workflow. My portion specifically covered, speeding up your workflows with various methods which included Dynamo.
During my portion I mentioned that I use Dynamo for everything, including email!

At the time this was a bit of a dream, but we now have this ability in Dynamo with Rhythm! (and the python SMTP.lib) See this node in action below, (apologies for the sound quality)


I will be posting this nodes to the Rhythm today, so #GetRhythmForDynamo and have fun!

8 comments:

  1. I can't seem to get this to work. Running Dynamo version 1.0.0 on revit 2015 to gmail account. Is there a trick to this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you receiving any errors on the python script inside the node?

      Delete
  2. Yeah, doesn't do handshake with server. I have used different SMTP servers/mail accounts and changed the ports too to no success. However, I rewrote it in another Python IDE and it worked fine. Perhaps this is a problem with restriction in Dynamo as I changed all my gmail settings to allow less secure apps etc. Does it work in your Dynamo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's odd. I think it may have to do with the Python library mapping. It works on my end. You might have to change the pyt_path portion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, is a bit odd. I am referencing the iron Python library (2.7). I can import smtplib just fine, but doesn't seem to connect to smtp.gmail.com (or smtp.live.com).

      Delete
  4. Hi, with Revit 2016, Dynamo 1.1, Iron Python 2.7, doesn't work..How can i do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, do you have an error message that it is providing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Email me at sixtysecondrevit@gmail.com and I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete