A blog dedicated to tidbits of software information related to the AEC industry. Most tips and tricks are roughly 60 seconds because, "Hey who doesn't have 60 seconds".
*The views and opinions expressed in this blog do not reflect those of my employer.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Revit- Create Worksets with Dynamo

This discussion was over at the DynamoBIM forums regarding workset creation.
http://dynamobim.com/forums/topic/creating-a-new-workset/
Andreas Dieckmann was kind enough to let us know that this has been possible since the Revit R2 release.

This prompted me to do some searching and I found this post from the building coder.
http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2015/02/revit-2015-r2-and-the-read-write-workset-api.html
And then I came up with this little gem. :)
2015-06-16_13h17_30
It will take both a list and a single name (as a string) and create those worksets for you in a workshared model.
See the video below for it in action and get it on the package manager now. (Another note, this will only work for Revit 2015 and R2 update and beyond)

19 comments:

  1. Hi, very nice to post this. I right away added a small feature of reading the worksets names from excel. see:http://danielgijsbers.blogspot.nl/2015/06/automate-creation-of-worksets.html
    With credits for your nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel, Great work! The excel connectivity was the idea and you got it! Great for standard workset naming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get linked file name, create workset, set workset for linked file instance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ekkonap- there's a way to do that.
    http://sixtysecondrevit.blogspot.com/2015/06/more-worksetcreate-fun-with-dynamobim.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ekkonap, you would probably also want to set the type workset for the linked file.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And clockwork has a node for that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am interested in this node. Is this custom or ootb?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a custom node I made in package Rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Need help. I have downloaded Rhythm and have Revit and Dynamo up to date. I am getting a null from my Workset.Create with the same example John has. Any thoughts? I have tried having the dialog open and closed. Also run on auto and manual.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you at least Revit 2015 R2 Update (for subscription) or Revit 2016?

    ReplyDelete
  11. John, we are using 2015 with sp8.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The build number will be specific. Let me check mine in the morning and see. The work set create Api opened up with the mid year release of revit 2015 last year. Called revit 2015 release 2. It is only for subscription customers. Have you also enabled work sharing before attempting to run the script?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It also may be easier to email me directly at sixtysecondrevit@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This workflow is currently working for me with this Update. Screenshot

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been after something like this for a while! Perfect! Only problem is, i can't get it to work..

    My setup is Revit 2015, Build: 20150702_1515(x64)
    Update Release 9

    Dynamo version: 0.8.2.2392

    Is this compatible? Should it have worked?

    ReplyDelete
  16. That build appears to not include the R2 release from about this time last year. http://goo.gl/xz9KYj

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks JohnP - you've prompted me in the right direction - problem now solved! I had to uninstall Revit and reinstall because I already had UR9 installed.

    For anyone that comes across the same issue, I reinstalled Revit 2015, then installed the R2 patch, then installed the UR9 for R2 file, and the build number came up as it should. All Dynamo packages are operational! [woohoo]

    ReplyDelete
  18. This information is impressive; I am inspired with your post writing style & how continuously you describe this topic. After reading your post, thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel happy about it and I love learning more about this topic.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Civil engineering outsourcing services | hoa lan ho diep | Civil engineering services | Outsource Structural Drafting Services | Outsource CAD drafting services

    ReplyDelete